Apple crumble is my favorite dessert. It always reminds me of a breezy summer night under the stars, surrounded by family. This dessert also moves with the seasons, perfect for fall when apple picking season is at its height and a comforting winter dessert to celebrate the holiday season. My father is the best at making apple crisps and who I got my love of baking from. I’ve tried many different variations, but this one that we made recently together is my new favorite. Crisp, gooey, sweet, and delicious, plus it is gluten free and dairy free. Make this your plant based friendly go to dessert that everyone can enjoy.
- 1 1/2 cups very cold coconut oil
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup arrowroot
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 6 apples, peeled and cut into 1 in pieces
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Make sure the coconut oil for the crumble is very cold, place if fridge ahead of time to chill.
- Combine coconut flour, arrowroot, brown sugar, and sea salt together in a large bowl.
- Add in the cold coconut oil until mixed together in crumbles.
- Add in the cold water.
- If the crumble looks like a dough, place crumble mix into refrigerator or freezer until solid (10-20 minutes)
- In a separate bowl, combine chopped apples, melted coconut oil, lemon juice, and cinnamon. Mix well and place in 9 X 13 baking dish.
- Cover with crumble topping.
- Bake for 40-50 mins until lightly brown on top and bubbling on the sides.
- Remove, let cool, and serve warm with your favorite plant based ice cream.